Mousehold Infant and Nursery School is committed to serving its community and surrounding areas. It recognizes the multi cultural, multi faith and ever-changing nature of the United Kingdom, and therefore those it serves. It also understands the vital role it has in ensuring that groups or individuals within the school are not subjected to intimidation or radicalization by those wishing to unduly, or illegally, influence them.
The school’s admissions are from all those entitled to an education under British law, including pupils of all faiths or none. It follows the policies outlined by its Governing Body regarding equal opportunities, which guarantee that there will be no discrimination against any individual or group, regardless of faith, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, political or financial status, or similar. It seeks to serve all.
The Government emphasizes that schools are required to ensure that key ‘British Values’
are taught in all UK schools- the values of:
•The rule of law
•Tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs
Promoting British Values
Mousehold Infant & Nursery School is committed to serving its community and surrounding areas. We recognise the multi- cultural, multi-faith nature of the United Kingdom and understand the crucial role our school plays in promoting these values. We have achieved the British Council’s Full International School Award. This statement outlines the key British values we actively promote.
- Children are involved in Democratic processes e.g. voting for school and Eco councilors.
- Both the school & Eco councils are led by a member of staff who adheres to democratic processes.
- Within school, children are actively encouraged to make choices, knowing that they are in a safe & supportive environment.
- As a school we educate & provide boundaries for children to make choices safely.
- Through our curricular clubs & opportunities, children are given the freedom to make choices.
- The aims & ethos statement are embodied in all that we do in our school.
- Sports activities promote an attitude of equality & fairness.
- Our PSHE curriculum embodies values of mutual respect through units of learning such as relationships & being a responsible citizen.
- Respect is embedded within our whole school Rules.
- Our Eco values & work reflects our understanding about how to keep Britain & the world in good shape.
The Rule of Law
- We have links with the local police through the PCSO.
- We have a clearly structured behaviour policy which all stakeholders understand & follow.
- Pupils participate in decision making to agree class and school rules. As a result, they understand the reason for rules and laws that govern their behaviour in school and society.
- We regularly review behaviour incidents in school & share these with key stakeholders.
- Assemblies are delivered with a moral focus.
Tolerance of those different faiths and beliefs
- Our R.E. curriculum provides a broad & balanced education on a range of faiths, religions & cultures. At Mousehold Infant and Nursery School there is a strong focus on the Christian values.
- We hold the Full International School Award from the British Council.
- All children from Nursery to Y2 learn Spanish.
- We have a large number of E.A.L children & actively use school resources to promote their learning & integration into our school society. We have a rich and diverse curriculum.
- We have visitors from other faiths who share their language & culture with our pupils.
- We have a range of resources available to use in class to promote work on similarities & differences.
- We have a very strong link with a school in Africa. This supports the British value of charity & helping
- We provide the children with an understanding of the main festivals & key dates of significance to British culture e.g Remembrance Day.