Welcome to the section of our website dedicated to our environmental work in and around school. We believe that by raising awareness and promoting the benefits, use and enjoyment of the natural environment, we can also encourage and highlight the need for its care. The Eco Council will help everyone do this through giving information and by setting a good example. We want to make the world a better place and encourage all Mousehold children to become happy, healthy and responsible citizens. We want our school to be a fun place to learn and grow.
The Eco Council is made up of 1 child from each class (Nursery to Year 2), who are democratically elected. We undertake an Environmental Review each year and devise an Action plan from this. Our school is highly committed to sustaining and enhancing the environment and this is recognised in our curriculum, on our Action Plan, in assemblies, staff meetings and the Eco Schools notice board outside class 6.
We meet at least every half term, but usually more often to discuss current projects, ideas and needs. Some of the things we have worked on over the last year include:
- Introducing Eco Elephant who monitors our school every week at an unknown time! He checks for tidy classrooms, taps, whiteboards and lights switched off and a certificate is awarded to Classes each week. Some classes have won Eco Elephant several times!
- Switch off Fortnight to highlight the saving of Energy in school and in our homes.
- Recycled rubber Friendship benches for the playground purchased by the Friends.
- Monitoring of dog mess and litter in our school environment and highlighting this.
- Waste Week information and competition.
- Paper-free Wednesday.
- ‘Empty Classroom Day’
- Year 1 took part in an RSPB Biodiversity day on ‘Giving Nature a Home.’
- Textile collection for Science equipment for school.
- Making poppies using recycled materials for our special Remembrance Day assembly.
- Building a minibeast Hotel.
- Making bird treats to hang in the trees around school.
We were very excited to be awarded our second Green Flag recently for our Environmental work! The Green Flag is the highest award given by the Eco Schools Organisation. We are looking forward to working towards our next Green Flag!